Monday, July 15, 2019

Jeff On Jim







“I actually cloned myself after Jim Keltner when I was 17 and 18. I even thought it was cool to wear a vest and I copied his style. A drummer’s own style comes from eventually being on his own, but I copied [Jim] Gordon and Keltner and all these guys I dug. I remember realizing this, but after a while, the accumulation of all the guys you copy becomes your own thing, hopefully.”

“My ballad playing is me emulating Jim Keltner, and all I think about is Jim Keltner,Jim Keltner, Jim Keltner. Since I was 16 years old, I’ve had a vivid picture of Jim Keltner sitting at a set of drums on my right. I think of relaxing the groove so that there’s space. I like space in ballads. And stole from Ringo Starr and Jim Keltner. Drummers have to be sensitive to the song, the dynamics. Toto’s ballads happen to give you a lot of dynamics. You can get out there and still stay open."

Jeff Porcaro





No comments:

Post a Comment